Prelude - Virtually, no lineups?

 

A crystal-clear memory I have of university is that the first week means one long lineup after another. I lined up to enroll in class, to get my timetable, to get my student card, to buy my books, to pay my fees, etc. etc.

Today’s experience is different. Maybe even better.

Through the magic of the internet, I was able to enroll in my classes for the fall and figure out my timetable weeks ago. And by submitting a photo online, I found I could just wander in and get my student card. Magic. I’d still need to come to campus to pick it up, but at least I wouldn’t have to stand in line for hours to get a picture done.

But I still a couple of questions prior to the start of classes: Where exactly is the Music Department’s office? And can I find out exactly where my classrooms are so I’m not panicking on the first day?

I was an information professional throughout my career, but repeated scouring of Ottawa U’s website yielded no answers.  I did, however, find what appeared to be a way to talk to someone at the Faculty of Arts. Sweet.

“Contact Us,” it said. “Click Here.”

I did, hoping for, you know, a phone number so I could talk to a real person.

Yeah, no.

Instead, I was transported to another webpage where I needed to fill in all sorts of information in order to get into a virtual lineup to have someone call me back. In about 30 minutes.

So much for no lineups.

Fine, I get it. It’s the week before classes start and I’m sure there are tons of people seeking information. And since I needed to go to campus to get my student card, I decided to show up in person and see if the physical lineup was any shorter than the virtual one.

(This is Ottawa, so of course the O-Train to campus wasn’t running. But I digress.)

I arrived expecting to find a crowd of people surrounding harried staff, with maybe someone else on the phone answering questions from the virtual lineup.

Nope.

Just two very helpful, pleasant people who directed me to the Music Department office. No lineup.

Nor was there any lineup at the Department, where another very helpful and pleasant person showed me exactly where my classes would be.

Flushed with success, I decided to go pick up my student card. I’d received an email with instructions. I knew I had to go to the student lounge. I was warned to come in the morning “as it is usually less busy.” By now, it was almost noon. Would I finally face a long lineup?

Well, no. I found the student lounge. I found rows and rows of chairs where people could wait, all empty. I found a long row of about 20 numbered desks, with volunteers waiting to serve the students who weren’t there. And I found a desk at the lounge entrance, staffed with 3 smiling volunteers.

“Hi,” I said. “I got an email saying my student card is ready for pickup. I can’t believe there’s no lineup!  Which desk do I go to?”

“Scan this QR code,” one replied.

Ugh. Yes, I was once again transported to another webpage to fill in all sorts of information and get into a virtual lineup.

At least my wait was closer to 30 seconds than 30 minutes. And thanks to the volunteer at Desk 15.

Next week - classes begin. I've been told to check out the course materials on Brightspace. 

What's a Brightspace?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction - Let the Weirdness Begin

One Day becomes Day One

Week 2 - the more things change...